Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Project Sneak Peek, Stenciled Accent Walls

Good morning,

Remember a while ago when I posted this about making a "big red" sofa work? Well there are a couple other rooms that I did in this main floor project, and today I wanted to share one room which has inspired a new favorite of mine. I'm talking about stenciling walls.

This is something that I had never done before, so when my client mentioned that she wanted to try it I can't tell you enough how glad I am that we did! I love that the pattern we chose is a large print, but done in a subtle contrast of colors it adds depth to the space without over taking it. Don't get me wrong, I could see this done in a very bold and contrasting way that would really stand out, but in this case we are going for chic and soothing.

Take a sneak peek at the amazing accent wall that required only a $50 stencil and some paint!











 In these pics taken with my i-phone (and therefore not showing the true beauty here), you can see how adding a stencil to the accent wall adds just the right amount of chic to this living room. 

When working with a budget you have to think outside the box. In this case only paint and $50 for the stencil are all you need. The greatest part about this project for me was learning that you can use a stencil on textured walls which is something that many people think is not possible. The trick is that you have to blot the roller very well before applying the paint so that it doesn't drip in to the crevices of your wall. You can find your own Cutting Edge Stencil as well as a step by step tutorial here .

This is definitely a budget decorating tip that I will be using again, and could see working really well in a dining room, behind an upholstered bed in a bed room, or in a child's room.

What do you think? Is stenciling something you would give a try?



No comments:

Post a Comment