Friday, June 15, 2012

How To Make The Big Red Sofa Work

Happy Friday, (evening)

I wanted to share with you a glimpse of the new project that I'm getting started on. Sometimes I get a project that has a part of it that requires me to stretch my creative thinking so that I can make an existing piece of the puzzle fit seamlessly with the new puzzle pieces.

In this project my client became stumped with a rash decision to purchase a large red sectional sofa, which was about when she decided that she needed help. The rest of the house has a mix of chic modern and traditional elements and is in process of having an updated feel. With the "big red" being in the family room/ kitchen area it is a major focal point to the house so it needs a chance to shine.

Here's my plan to make the big red sectional sofa work:

Start with the big red sofa:

Layer a cream silk shag rug beneath the sofa and ottoman to tone it down and lighten the space up.




Add a beautiful console behind the sofa to fill the window nook and stage the console with silvery accents and objects du jour for a focal point beyond the sofa.



Add an end table in a beachy wicker to give it a bit of an organic touch.


Add a clear glass jug lamp in sea foam green tinted glass.



Layer pillows upon pillows and throws upon throws in layers of creams, whites, and lavender/ berry Ikat and Suzani prints.









Add a white tray on the ottoman and place a candle, a book, and a drink! 

Add a collage behind the sofa full of beautiful flowers in silver frames to bring all of the polished and pretty accents in this room together and give people something to look at (other than "big red" of coarse;)



What do you think of the room as a whole? You think we can make "big red" work?

I know we can, and I can't wait to show you more!

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing the room reveal :)

    And if anyone can make the big red sofa work, it's you :)

    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with B;). I would love to see the final outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys!!! I can't wait to see how it turns out myself;)

    ReplyDelete