Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Possibly The Most Versatile Table Ever, The Saarinen Tulip Table

Good morning,

Today I wanted to talk about one of my favorite mid century modern pieces of furniture EVER! OK, I have quite a few "favorite pieces ever" but not all are quite so versatile.

For my current project I chose the famed Saarinen Dining collection Tulip Table. This table was originally introduced by Knoll in 1956. I always love something that can tell a good story. I chose this table because the kitchen is a bit dark with Wenge wood cabinets as well as a pretty dark granite that I salvaged from the previous kitchen design. Bringing in this table is like injecting some light to the space. I also went with a large drum pendant and white bar stools to keep things brighter.

Remember the Breakfast nook scheme?



Well, this scheme changed many times with my ever changing mind. Take a look at the other chair and lighting options as things evolved.




This sometimes happens as other parts of a space come together, or when a client doesn't like something like the Cherner bar stools or the Wishbone chairs ( I can't win em all). I finally settled on the metal dining chairs from Cb2 because my client loves all things metal (I learned), and isn't a fan of anything "walnut". Funny. None the less, going through the process made me want to share with you how versatile this table can be. It comes in many finishes, color variations and sizes. You can even go with an oval shape and use it for a larger dining room. Find one here .


So on to the title of today's post. You don't have to take my word for it, feast your eyes on the MANY rooms that the Tulip table has been styled in. Not to mention how many chair options work perfectly with it.












I'm in love! What do you think, do you like how this iconic table can be used in today's modern times or are you not a fan of bringing back the classics?

Though mid century pieces might not be for everyone (gasp!) one thing is for sure, you can definitely see that this table will pack a space with style. It's like a neutral heel and how that can pull an outfit together effortlessly. This table effortlessly polishes off any room it's put in, and is a keeper in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment